Friday, May 11, 2007

I'm a Little Tramper

So I've been in Taranaki (a region, not a town -- just in case anyone's interested) for just shy of a week now, and I'm thoroughly enjoying my farmstay. Definitely the most physical labor I've done in awhile (ok lets be honest -- possibly ever) -- today included moving 2x4s, cleaning out the pig shed and pulling out corn stalks (harder than it sounds... Mom, you know what I'm talking about). I'll put up photos when I figure out how to view my photos on my host family's computer... so far no luck.

Anyways, on Wednesday the weather was gorgeous so I went for a hike up Mt Taranaki. It was the first time I ever went for a real hike by myself, and it certainly was a challenge. Although it wouldn't have been any easier with anyone else, but even so -- took me just over 8 hours, but 45 minutes were break time (ok maybe a little more). The scenery was beautiful to interesting -- native bush at the beginning, then alpine zone, then rocks rocks and more rocks. Quite difficult to manage going up but quite fun to come down. The first bit of rock was very slippery and hard to find footing in (which made for rock-sledding on the way back) then the oh so lovely volcanic rock I became familiar with during the Tongariro Crossing. I almost lost faith (since the Kiwis kept passing me by), but I persevered. The top of the mountain (oh I failed to mention this is actually a volcano -- so the top had a wee crater, filled with ice, snow, and no discernible path) was the most challenging, considering the slippery-ness and lack of path, oh and having to climb, not hike, but it was certainly worth it. At the top of the mountain the views were spectacular -- the Tasman Sea on three sides and Mt Tongariro to the east. And I lucked out with the views (so said the Kiwi -- in shorts, mind you -- that I spoke with at the top) -- rarely is the weather so clear.

So, I discovered to keep myself going in the hard times (but not so difficult all I could think about was my foot and hand placement) it works to make up a song. The lyrics to my lovely song are as follows (tune to 'I'm a Little Teapot'):

I'm a little tramper, short and lean,
Always carry water in my canteen.
Up the mountains I go, slow not fast.
Other trampers hurry past.

As the going got easier on the way down I made up two other verses, but I will hold them dear in my heart for awhile longer before sharing them. Don't worry, I already copywrited that first verse.

3 comments:

Tom said...

I smell grammy! Do they have those in New Zealand?

Claire Espey said...

Hey Katie, just read your blog feels like we're right there with you! Its claire and nicole and we did our own trucking through the feirce spring thunderstorms on the upper east side. Just a few blocks from Chinese food to nicole's new apt but we feel your pain. Keep on trampin'! xoxo
n and c

Unknown said...

I can't wait for the next verse, as well as the pics!