Thursday, May 31, 2007

Hitchin' A Ride

As the title leads one to believe (quite obviously) I had my first NZ hitchhiking experience yesterday. It was a travel day (New Plymouth to Thames) and I had two bus rides -- totalling just over 6 hours. Lovely. Anyways, nearing the end of the second bus trip everyone got off the bus, so I thought: 'Hmmm. Maybe this is the last stop.' So I asked the bus driver -- "Is this Thames?" (The last stop and my final destination). "Yes" she says. So I get off, get my pack, and walk into the info center.

After inquiring how to get to my hostel, I learn I got off at the wrong stop. I'm in Parera (or something, I can't quite remember), not Thames. And that was the last bus (well another one comes at the same time as the mine, but I was lead to believe that it had already left). So I'm stuck in Pawera, and what's worse -- I'll have to pay $14 to take the bus 32ks the next day. All because the bus driver doesn't know which stop is which. After 30 seconds of fuming/tearing up, it became apparent to me that this is my opportunity to hitch. So I check the map and head over to the road leading out of Parera and up to Thames. Once there, I throw my thumb out and start walking backwards.

Cars pass. More cars than I wish to be were passing. Cars with attractive people and empty seats pass. Minivans with small children and empty seats pass. Yes! One is pulling over! Oh, no, they just are going to their house. More cars pass. Yes! A car is stopping -- and not just that, a car with a grandmother driving is stopping! There's no way she would beat me and leave me by the side of the road. After recounting my story to her and throwing my pack in the trunk, we're off to Thames.**

Along the way (which took maybe 20 minutes) we chat about traveling -- she just returned from a month in China -- and the burdens of growing old/her ill mother (why she was on the road in the first place -- she was coming up from Palmerston North to check on her). It was quite enjoyable. Anyways, after my mishap with the bus driver set in, she became quite mad -- "We have to file a complaint! If you don't want to, I will." Well ok then. No arguing with an angry grandma. Once in Thames, we're off to the bus depot to file a complaint -- which consisted of telling the people that worked there, and then confronting the bus driver. Apparently she thought I had asked -- is this Parera? (Parera and Thames do not sound alike. Come on.) But she did apologize. And I got a ride to the front door of my hostel (instead of walking the 20 minutes from the bus station). So all's well that ends well.


** The events of this paragraph occurred over the span of 3 minutes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

this is an awesome story, i love it