Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A Tuesday in Taranaki

Life at Bushlie's Corner (the name of the farm) so far has left me quite content. Sunday was an absolutely magnificent day -- Farmer's market in the morning, the afternoon spent on a scenic bush reserve, dinner cooked outside over an open fire, and finishing out the day with a thought-provoking discussion on everything from politics to womanhood to permaculture. (Well maybe those three are more related than I initially thought). I have just 3 weeks left in NZ -- it's a bit hard to believe that I'm this far in the trip already. (although it is nice to think about all the fun things left ahead of me).

I feel like I'm getting quite used to life on the farm -- feeding the pigs in the morning (usually Ginger is loose -- silly pig, escaping his electric fence), then to watever task I have for the day. Today I mulched the feijoa trees in the orchard. At one point when clipping branches I tucked close to the fence to get better access, but quickly moved back to where I had been after being stared down by the bull next door.

I made dinner tonight for the family -- while making the two dinners I've made so far I've been hyper conscious of the spices I put in (considering I have a tendency to heavily over spice) since I'm cooking for little kids. Oh and I have an infected splinter on my right pointer (for which I was given a natural remedy that's worked quite well at bringing the bugger up to the surface). And I've pretty much finished the LOTR trilogy (about 3 weeks, not bad, especially since I've been trying to go slowly).

Hope all is well back in the states -- and to all the mothers -- Happy (belated) Mother's Day!


***had a bit of trouble figuring out a clever title for the post, i apologize***

1 comment:

Unknown said...

having had a few encounteres with bulls in my days at NBC, I think you were very wise in backing off from him. So how did the dinner turn out? Did the boys like it?